• Victoriana: The Art of Revival is an exhibition which will run throughout the autumn at the Guildhall Art Gallery, London. Some of my steampunk work will be included. Related: Rick Poynor on Soft Machine’s Dysfunctional Mechanism.
• “The egg glows and hovers in the middle of a field of mesmerizing color. The spell is broken when the guard finally says, “Everybody up off the floor.'” Morgan Meis on Aten Reign by the amazing James Turrell.
• Mix of the week: a “heatwave mix” of psychedelic songs compiled by Jaime Williams. Anything that includes Vacuum Cleaner by Tintern Abbey gets my vote.
Because sex is so compartmentalized — it’s often considered separate from the rest of life and hidden away — porn performers, who have sex publicly, are in a unique position to consider and talk about integrating private and public aspects of life.
Writer and porn performer Conner Habib on the issue of nomenclature in the porn business.
• Still Hopscotching: Peter Mendelsund posts some unused cover designs for Julio Cortázar.
• A Hymn For Megatron, an hour-long drone work, and a free download, by The Black Dog.
• Vagrancy and drift: Sukhdev Sandhu on the rise of the roaming essay film.
• A Flickr set of Peter “Sleazy” Christopherson’s musical instruments.
“Whether flower-pressing in the garden, hallucinating in the summerhouse, fainting inside stifling sites of historical interest, pirouetting along the promenade, or even sea-cruise thalassophobia complications, barely a moment will pass that isn’t made all the sweeter by obsessively listening to Down to the Silver Sea.”
• The TM Research Archive: sate yourself on Swiss graphic design.
• A Lecture on Johnson and Boswell by Jorge Luis Borges.
• Words, sounds and robots from Sarah Angliss.