States of Ecstasy 1 by K. Lenore Siner some of whose work may be seen in Witch-Ikon: An Exhibition of Contemporary Witchcraft Imagery at Mortlake & Company, Seattle.
• Emily Temple compiles a list of “40 creepy book covers”. A shame that she (or Lithub) can’t also credit more of the artists and designers responsible. Searching titles at ISFDB would turn up many of the missing names.
• Blogging has suffered in recent years from the onslaught of social media but some persist in maintaining the form as a creative act. Poemas del río Wang is one such, its scope best seen in this alphabetical index.
• Mixes of the week: XLR8R Podcast 510 by Moodprint, Secret Thirteen Mix 232 by Alex XIII Maerbach, a mix for The Wire by Sadaf, and FACT mix 621 by NHK yx Koyxen.
Out next month: Mute: A Visual Document, being a visual history of Mute Records by Terry Burrows and Daniel Miller.
• Nick Soulsby on “the myth and majesty of Vangelis’ timeless Blade Runner soundtrack”.
• Compound in the new album by Yair Elazar Glotman. Stream it in full here.
• Killed by Roses (1963): Eikoh Hosoe’s photographs of Yukio Mishima.
• Oriental Traditional Music from LPs & Cassettes
• Hours and hours of Blue Jam. Oo ab welcome.
• 65 books of prints by Katsushika Hokusai.
• Alpha (1976) by Vangelis | Rêve (1979) by Vangelis | Flamants Roses (1979) by Vangelis
Male Nude, Leg Up (1952) by Horst. From a series of photo prints at Wessel + O’Connor Fine Art until 5th November.
• At Bandcamp: “Tuareg guitar mixed with traditional rural folk”: Eghass Malan by Les Filles de Illighadad; “Pan dimensional spacecraft hover over ancient pyramids on worlds undreamed of”: Lemurian Dawn by Memnon Sa.
• Songs of Discomposure: Quietus writers pick their most disturbing pieces of music. Also at The Quietus: John Foxx on his collaborations with Harold Budd and Ruben Garcia.
• Eros In Arabia, the first album by Richard Horowitz, has been deleted since 1981, and is consequently very difficult to find. Freedom To Spend are reissuing it next month.
• JG Ballard—The Interview Concordance. A companion to the concordance of Ballard’s published works. Some of the interviews may be found here.
• At Dangerous Minds: The Male Figure: Bruce of Los Angeles and the perfection of midcentury beefcake.
• Mixes of the week: XLR8R Podcast 508 by Jennifer Cardini, and Secret Thirteen Mix 231 by Alex XIII.
• Post Punk: a set of postage stamp designs by Dorothy for punk and post-punk bands.
• At Spoon & Tamago: Kanban: The exquisite art of historic Japanese store signs.
• At Greydogtales: Photography of the Folk Horror Revival.
• The Spomenik Database
• The Secret Life Of Arabia (1977) by David Bowie | Arabian Knights (1981) by Siouxsie And The Banshees | Arabiant (2002) by Radar