A design by Emma Kunz (1892–1963).
• Following the news this week it’s worth reminding people of a great post put together by Adam Curtis back in January, Rupert Murdoch—A portrait of Satan. One detail there concerns the death of chat show host Russell Harty in 1988. This week the London Review of Books posted an extract from Alan Bennett’s diaries referring to the Harty episode where he notes how the tabloid practice of getting private phone numbers from the police was common and widespread, not simply the actions of a single newspaper. For more about the deathbed hounding of Russell Harty (and Bennett’s loathing of Murdoch) see Writing Home. Related: Dennis Potter shortly before his death discussing his desire to kill Rupert Murdoch.
• Truth Wins Out infiltrates the “ex-gay” clinic run by Michelle Bachmann’s husband.
• Have tea with Doctor Dee in Mortlake, London, next Wednesday.
• A conversation with Brian Eno by Ben Sisario.
• The mysterious minaret of Jam, Afghanistan.