Soundcarriers poster by Julian House.
A new release on the Ghost Box label is always a welcome thing but Entropicalia by The Soundcarriers, out on May 20th, is one I’m especially looking forward to. Julian House has made a video for new song Boiling Point, and there’s also the poster above which can be downloaded at larger size here. The Ghost Box Guest Shop has a couple of new additions including the recent Man Woman Birth Death Infinity album by Raagnagrok.
• “It’s a funny time to be making music, because we’re a generation of people who make music with screens instead of with ears.” Ben Frost talking to Tristan Bath.
• At Dangerous Minds: You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess, a rare glimpse of Yello live in concert, 1983.
Our movements about London are closely circumscribed, and while we may imagine ourselves to be free, the truth is that the vast majority of our journeys are undertaken for commercial imperatives: we travel either to work or to spend. All about us during our daily existence we are presented with buildings we cannot enter, fences we cannot climb and thoroughfares it would be foolhardy to cross. We are disbarred from some places because we don’t have the money — and from others because we don’t have the power. The city promises us everything, but it will deliver only a bit.
The place-hackers draw our attention to how physically and commercially circumscribed our urban existence really is. […] As more and more international capital flows into London, so public space is increasingly eroded — it’s just too valuable for us ordinary folk to paddle about in any more.
Give the freedom of the city to our urban explorers, says Will Self. Related: Robert Macfarlane accompanied urbexer Bradley Garrett on a night-time jaunt.
• Black Sabbeth: Metal band Gonga covering a classic with Portishead’s Beth Gibbons on vocals.
• Pelican books take flight again; Paul Laity on the resurrection of the non-fiction imprint.
• Finland’s homoerotic stamps are an ocular feast for women, too, says Nell Frizzell.
• “I guess you could say I am a Pagan.” Kenneth Anger on the occult.
• “How much gay sex should a novel have?” asks Caleb Crain.
• Mix of the week: Secret Thirteen Mix 112 by Kyoka.
• The Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock
• Zombi’s Guide to Goblin
• Decadence Comics
• Zombie Warfare (1979) by Chrome | Escape From The Flesheaters (Zombie) (1979) by Fabio Frizzi | Zombie’ites (1993) by Transglobal Underground