Gevatter Tod (Godfather Death, 1905) by Heinrich Lefler. Via Beautiful Century.
An inevitable hangover from Halloween this week. At 50 Watts: A Modern Dance of Death (c. 1894) by Joseph Sattler, Harry Clarke Revisited, and more Ex Libris Mr Reaper | At Design Observer: Keith Eggener on When Buildings Kill: Sentient Houses in Fiction and Film | At Dangerous Minds: An interview with horror soundtrack composer Fabio Frizzi | Clive Hicks-Jenkins on illustrating the ghost stories of MR James.
• Punk 45: The Singles Cover Art of Punk 1976–80, a book by Jon Savage & Stuart Baker with an accompanying compilation album on Soul Jazz Records. Savage & Baker selected a handful of favourite covers here.
• De humani corporis fabrica by Vesalius is back in print as a beautiful two-volume hardback edition. See sample pages here.
…the business of the writer is to find something out for yourself and to stick by it. To forge a new mythology out of materials pertinent to the moment. Otherwise you’re at the mercy of their mythology, which is a destruction of language, above everything else. This non-language, this bureaucratic-speak of the global corporate entities, is a horror in the world. So that strange language we started with – that piece of Kerouac – I think is more valuable than ever.
Iain Sinclair (yes, him again) talking to James Campbell about his new book, American Smoke.
• Bob Mizer & Tom of Finland, an exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles.
• From 2010: The Bridget Riley Look, The Bridget Riley Sound, Bridget Riley’s Rolling Papers.
• The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board. Related: Ouija Boards at Pinterest.
• Highway 62 posted some close-ups of my adaptation of The Call of Cthulhu.
• “This is not a coincidence”: Max Dax talks to Andrey A. Tarkovsky.
• Anthony Lane‘s Foreword to The Big New Yorker Book of Cats.
• At AnOther: Nicolas Roeg on Mirrors and Memory.
• Toys and Techniques: a blog.
• Death And The Lady (1970) by Shirley & Dolly Collins | Clang Of The Yankee Reaper (1975) Van Dyke Parks | All And Everyone (2011) by PJ Harvey